Rock Springs, Wyoming, Historical Museum
The Rock Springs Historical Museum is housed in the original Rock Springs City Hall. The building was built in 1894 at an original cost of $28,200. The funds for the construction did not come from the ever-present Union Pacific Coal Company and Railroad, but from revenues collected in the issuing of liquor licenses. The building is built from native sandstone and boasts an impressive 14-foot foundation that was made necessary by the presence of "quicksand" at the site. It served as the City Hall, Police Station and Fire Station until the early 1980's, when the new City Hall on D street was completed. (Rock Springs Historical Museum)
More at: Rock Springs, Wyoming Museum website
Address: 201 B St., Rock Springs, Wyoming, 82901
Hours: 10:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Hours: 10:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Philippe Coste Collection from France
Page by Bob Leathers
Philippe Coste in France - found four photos from SWEETWATER, Wyoming. He donated the pictures to the Hanna Basin Museum Website. The French man driving the motor was identified as - EMILE MONNER - working in the Rock Springs area in 1910.
"In the early  '90s independent operators began to open mines along the Union Pacific. P. T- Quealy and associates opened what is known as the Central Coal and Coke Company No. 2 mine, and Mark Hopkins opened a mine at Sweetwater, then known as Hopkinsville. Both of these properties were acquired by the Sweetwater Coal and Mining Company, controlled by G. W. McGeath and were afterwards turned over to the Central Coal and Coke Company, now operating the properties."
Central Coal and Coke Company No. 2 started operation in 1888 and closed in 1937.
The Sweetwater Mine was operated by the Gunn-Quealy Coal Company and operated from 1919 to 1925
When that area became known as Quealy there were 60 houses there, and one of them was Mark Hopkins the mine founder's wife's home - Ichabod S. Bartlett's History of Wyoming volume 1. (Jennifer Messer
Museum Coordinator, Rock Springs Historical Museum)
The 1912 Annual Report of the State Coal Mine Inspector of Wyoming has the Central Coal and Coke Company No. 1 Mine referred to as the "Sweetwater", so it would be reasonable that the mine camp was named as such. I am not sure when the town of Quealy was named, but it would have been later. Since it is now known as the old Quealy townsite, it makes sense that most people including myself had never heard of Sweetwater. (Ryan Reed, BRS Engineering)
The Hanna Basin Museum Website extends a very special thank you to the Rock Springs, Wyoming Historical Museum for allowing our website to access the valuable publications they have placed online. The staff at the museum deserve a great deal of praise for their efforts to provide the public with accurate and reliable historical information about the history of Rock Springs and Wyoming.
Union Pacific Coal Company Employes' Magazines by the Union Pacific Coal Company
Click on the blue link to view a complete list of Union Pacific Coal Company Employes' Magazines available online.