Images and notes from Bob Leathers
Content from THE HANNA MINER: At the Bottom of the Mine
Bob Leathers' Notebook
1889: Workers spent their time in Hanna developing the No. 1 and No. 2 mines and building the town. Living conditions in Hanna during the winter of 1889 were difficult. The workers lived in tents and were exposed to the winter weather with little protection from Wyoming's cold and windy conditions. (Wyoming State Archives Dept. of State Parks and Cultural Resources)
First it was Carbon, 1869 through 1902, then it was Hanna, 1889 through 2019.
June 17, 1885:
- The Statue of Liberty, a gift from the people of France, arrived in New York Harbor. The statue stood watch over more than 12 million immigrants who sailed into New York Harbor. Many of those immigrants would end up in Carbon and Hanna.
- The Union Pacific coal mines at Carbon were operating, but the mineable coal was diminishing. A new source of coal was needed. A new source was found at Chimney Springs, which would later become Hanna.
- The Hanna town site at Chimney Springs was surveyed and the area explored for coal mine locations. Mark Hanna, at the request of the Union Pacific Railroad, toured the Wyoming coal mines. On his trip he visited the newly discovered coal fields at Chimney Springs for possible expansion. He recommended the coal field be developed. When the decision to move the coal operation from Carbon to Hanna was made, the coal site at Chimney Springs was named Hanna after Mark Hanna.
- The Wyoming Territorial Assembly sent the United States Congress a petition for admission to the Union.
1889 January 30:
- The United States Post Office Department established a post office at Hanna and appointed George F. Doane as postmaster.
1889 September 30:
- Wyoming approved the first state constitution to grant women in Hanna the right to vote.
- The town of Hanna experienced rapid growth.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company’s No. 1 mine in Dana was opened for production. It produced 16,058 tons of coal in its first year.
April 28, 1890:
- One miner, Henry Ward, was the only man killed when the Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 1 mine exploded for the first time in its history.
- The first school was built in Hanna.
1890 June 19:
- A fierce fire broke out in Carbon and burned most of the business district to the ground. A few reports indicate the fire started in the Scranton House hotel where a guest knocked over a kerosene lamp. The fire fighters even tried dynamiting a few buildings in hopes of stopping the fire from spreading, but their efforts were not successful. Immediately after the fire, the people and businesses started rebuilding the town and new laws and ordinances were passed to help avoid such a thing from happening again.
1890 July 10:
- Wyoming was admitted to the union. President Benjamin Harrison signed the Wyoming statehood bill, making Wyoming the 44th state in the union. The new town of Hanna celebrated.
- Wyoming’s population was 62,555 people, 6,857 of which were living in Carbon County.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company was organized as a subsidiary of the Union Pacific Railroad to oversee Wyoming coal mining.
- Coal miners in Wyoming were typically paid by the ton. Miners working for the Union Pacific Coal Company demanded the coal company reduce the weight of a ton of coal from 2,250 pounds to 2,0000 pounds, called a short ton.
- Additional housing was built in Hanna. R. B. Dykerman was contracted to build fifty new four-room houses in Hanna for the Union Pacific Coal Company.
- The original Hanna Methodist Church was built.
- A boarding house and hospital were built, along with 160 new houses in Hanna for miners to live in.
1891, May 23:
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 1 mine at Dana, Wyoming was closed.
1891 November 19:
- The Hanna mines loaded 1,300 tons of coal in one day, a state record at the time.
- The new Hanna school had its first class of students.
- The principal of the Hanna school was Mr. Cuddlebeck. He arranged for some money making entertainment at the school during Christmas with the proceeds going to buy maps and other school supplies.
1892 January 1:
- Ellis Island opened as a place to process immigrants coming into the United States. Some of those immigrants were headed to Hanna, Wyoming.
- Joseph Cox, the mine forman in charge of developing the first Union Pacific Coal Company mines in Hanna, was transferred from Hanna to Gray Creek, Colorado, as superintendent of the mines located there. He later became a private owner of two coal mines in Aguilar, Colorado.
- The Hanna State and Savings Bank was established.
1893 September 1:
- The Finnish miners in Hanna, numbering about 200, ran the Mine Boss, Archie Raite, out of town by threatening to murder him if he did not leave. He was accused of refusing to give the miners necessary mining materials such as ties, rails, etc. and using language not becoming to any man when dealing with others.
1893 October 13:
- The Union Pacific Railroad went into bankruptcy.
- Labor Day became a federal holiday to be observed the first Monday in September. It was created to pay tribute to the contribution and achievements of American workers. Labor Day in Hanna was one of the most celebrated holidays.
- The Hanna Community Hall was built. Originally named Linden Hall, the building served as a saloon during the town’s early years and as a pool hall during prohibition. Today, it serves as the Hanna Basin Museum. On November 26, 1983, it was listed on the National Register of Historic places.
- Thomas Jackson moved his clothing store from Carbon to Hanna. His store, along with the Beckworth Commercial Company, were two of the few that were allowed in the town of Hanna which were not wholly owned by the Union Pacific Coal Company.
- The Hanna miners were paid 70 cents a ton for mined coal. The cost of coal loaded on railroad cars was $1.10 a ton.
- Wyoming's population was 92,531 people; Carbon County was home to 9,589 of them.
- The price paid to Hanna miners for mining coal was 65 cents a ton.
- The two-story Finn Hall was moved from Carbon to Hanna. The Finnish miners moved the hall by hand seven miles from Carbon to the Hanna. The hall was originally placed near the first school.
- The first Methodist / Episcopal Church meetings were held at the Union Pacific Railroad depot.
- Mail service via railroad from Allen Junction to Carbon was discontinued.
- All of the mines in Carbon were abandoned. The salvageable mining equipment was removed from the mines and moved or sold to other mines in the area. The coal chutes for fueling trains were torn down. The railroad track from Carbon to the No. 7 Sand Creek mine was taken up and moved elsewhere.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company towns of Carbon and Hanna overlapped coal production for 13 years from 1889 to 1902.
- The Union Pacific’s Carbon No. 7 mine, also known as the Sand Creek mine, located about two miles south of Carbon was abandoned. The mine opened in 1899. The coal turned out to be poor in quality with the coal seams full of impurities. Coal production numbers were not found. The Carbon mines experienced 41 documented deaths. It is not known in which mine 14 of the miners died, but 1 of the 41 died in the No. 7 mine. The last coal mine in Carbon was now abandoned.
- Property owners in Carbon were selling off their homes and businesses to any buyer they could find. The Union Pacific Coal Company was moving out of Carbon, so the town was finished.
1903 June 30:
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 1 mine in Hanna exploded killing 169 men.
1903 August 8:
- The Hanna mines were working every day, and it was reported that any man who was a coal miner would not be out of work an hour after his arrival.
- Eleven months after the June 30, 1903 explosion, the Union Pacific Coal Company No. 1 mine was back to normal coal production. This proved to be a fast recovery for a mine that was decimated by a violent explosion. The rush to normal production, according to a mine inspector at the time, was one the primary causes of the March 28, 1908 explosion, killing an additional 59 men.
1905 June 13:
- Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 3 mine in Hanna opened for mine development. The mine started production of coal in 1906.
1905 December 2:
- An explosion in Diamondville, Wyoming killed 18 coal miners.
- The average pay for teachers in Hanna was $51.63 a month.
1907 December 6:
- The coal miners at Hanna took great interest when the Fairmont Coal Company’s mine exploded in Monongah, West Virginia. The explosion killed 361 miners. At the time it was the worst mining disaster in American history.
1907 December 19:
- At Jacobs Creek, Pennsylvania, 239 miners were killed in a coal mine explosion.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company formally recognized the United Mine Workers of America as the union representing the Hanna miners. The Hanna local 2335 was established. All of the union members were employees of the Union Pacific Coal Company. William “Bill” Pascoe was the first president.
1908 March 28:
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 1 mine in Hanna exploded twice in the same day killing 59 men.
1908 July 27:
- Noah Young, Wyoming State Mine Inspector, reported to Governor B.B. Brooks the details of the March 28, 1908 explosion of Union Pacific Coal Company's Number 1 mine In Hanna.
1909 June 14:
- Pathfinder Dam, north of Hanna, was completed.
- The Union Pacific Railroad's articulated Steam Engine Locomotive made its debut.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 1 mine in Hanna was abandoned. It was the first mine opened for coal production in Hanna. The mine was developed in 1889 and 1890. The mine started outside coal production in 1891 when it produced 133,283 tons of coal. It stayed in operation until it was abandoned in 1909 after an explosion in the mine killing 59 workers in 1908. Over the mine’s 17 years of coal production, it produced 4,291,860 tons of coal with a yearly average of 300 workers. The No. 1 mine experienced a series of explosions that severely hampered coal production. The Hanna Basin mines (Hanna, Elmo, Sampo, Carbon, Dana, , and Wagon mines) experienced a total of 371 miner deaths. The No. 1 mine in Hanna was responsible for 249 of the 371 deaths.
- An electric plant was installed at the No. 2 mine to haul the coal from the inside workings to the slope by electric locomotives, also called motors. The addition of electricity significantly increased the production and efficiency of the mine.
- The Sampo mine, located to the east of Elmo, was opened for coal production.
- Hanna's neighbor, Medicine Bow, Wyoming became an incorporated town.
- Construction of the Union Pacific Railroad's second main line started through Wyoming.
- The underground stables at Hanna were removed from the mines. The livestock was now kept outside at the mule barn. The mules and horses were taken to the mine each morning and returned to the barn each evening. This move eliminated the need for flammable materials in the mine. The underground stables that caught fire during the 1903 and 1908 explosions significantly affected the No. 1 mine, adding to the raging inferno.
- Electric locomotives or motors were installed in all the Union Pacific Coal Company Hanna underground mines, doing away with some of the horse and mule power in the mine. The mines were also equipped with water lines throughout for sprinkling purposes to keep everything damp in hopes of preventing coal dust explosions.
- The Wyoming population was 145,965 people, with 11,282 of those living in Carbon County.
1911 October 1:
- The Hanna No. 3.5 underground mine was opened for development October 1, 1911 and started coal production in 1912. The mine opened with a 125 H.P. Allis and Chalmer electric hoist on the slope with a 1.25" rope. Mules were used for haulage from the entries to the slope. The track gauge was 42" with 3 ton pit cars.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 4 mine in Hanna was under development. The mine would start production of coal in 1912.
- The Virginian hotel in Medicine Bow, built by August Grimm, was opened for business.
- The Lincoln Highway was established.
- The first airplane flight in Wyoming took place in Gillette.
- The Virginian Hotel in Medicine Bow opened for business. The hotel was named after Owen Wister's book The Virginian.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 4 mine in Hanna was being developed.
- The United Mine Workers of America organized a Hospital Commission in Hanna. The Commission obtained the old school, which had been turned into a boarding house, and created the Hanna hospital to take care of the Hanna miners and their families. The hospital was in operation until the Union Pacific Coal Company mines were closed in February of 1954.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company No. 3.5 mine in Hanna opened for coal production.
- A coal mine explosion at Cumberland, Wyoming killed six miners and twenty more were injured. The explosion was caused by the ignition of coal dust in the mine. Cumberland is today a ghost town located between Evanston and Kemmerer.
- The last residents of Carbon left for other places for housing and employment. The town was now abandoned.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's Hanna mines moved from the room and pillar system of mining to the panel system of mining. Modern mining equipment, such as undercutting machines started taking over the mining process.
1913 November 16:
- The school at the No. 3 mine in Hanna burned to the ground. The school caught fire from the new furnace.
- Hanna Mines No. 2, No. 3.5 and No. 4 installed concrete for all stoppings. The powder boxes at the mines were converted to concrete. The boxes were designed for the miners to store their explosive powder and squibs.
1914 April 20:
- The Ludlow Massacre of Colorado coal miners occurred. It was an attack by the Colorado National Guard and the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company owned by John D. Rockefeller on a tent colony of 1,200 striking coal miners and their families at Ludlow Colorado. It had a profound affected on Hanna miners.
1915 September 17:
- The old workings of the Hanna No. 3 mine caught fire.
1915, April 1:
- The Wyoming workmen's compensation fund for people injured on the job was established in 1915. In Hanna, coal miners experienced many deaths and injuries. The Workman's Compensation was helpful to the miners, but not loved by the coal mining companies.
- St. Joseph's Catholic Church was built in 1915. The church was originally built and located across from the coal chute on the east end of Hanna.
1916 April 21:
- William "Wild Bill" Carlisle, the infamous “last train robber,” robbed the passengers on the Union Pacific San Francisco Limited near Hanna, Wyoming.
1916 August 15:
- The first binding contract between the United Mine Workers of America and the Southern Wyoming Coal Operations was reached and became effective in the Hanna mines. The agreement was entered into by the parties covering wages and working conditions in local fields of Southern Wyoming by and between representatives of the United Mine Workers of America, District No. 22, and the Southern Wyoming Coal Operators, for a two year period beginning September 1, 1916 and ending August 31, 1918. The agreement definitely understood and was agreed upon that the contract was based on an eight-hour day.
1916 August 19:
- The first annual First Aid competition was held at Rock Springs, Wyoming at the baseball park. Miners from Hanna participated.
1917 April 6:
- The Untied States entered World War I.
- Sixty-four young men from Hanna were drafted into World War I.
1917 November 1:
- A new wage scale for the Hanna miner was agreed to by the Southern Wyoming Coal Operators and the representatives of the United Mine Workers of America of District 22.
- The Hanna school was closed and public events canceled from an outbreak of Scarlet Fever.
1918 August 6:
- Peter Arthurs, Hanna resident: (World War I Casualty) PRIVATE, U. S. ARMY 58th INFANTRY REGIMENT, 4th DIVISION, was killed in action August 6, 1918 and buried at Oise-Aisne American Cemetery, Fere-en-Tardenois, France in Plot B, Row 7, Grave 6. No monument is located in the Hanna Wyoming cemetery. He was 23 years old.
1918 October 13:
- William D. Jones, Hanna resident: (World War I Casualty) PRIVATE, COMPANY E, 30th INFANTRY, died October 13, 1918 from wounds received in action. He was buried in the Hanna cemetery in plot 72. He was 26 years old.
1918: November 11:
- World War I ended at at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918. The First World War left nine million soldiers dead and 21 million wounded. In addition, at least five million civilians died.
- A flu pandemic hit the United States. It hit the Hanna area especially hard causing as many as 40 deaths.
- A new two-story Hanna K-12 school was approved to be built.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company’s No. 5 mine was opened in 1918, but the coal was of poor quality resulting in no coal production.. The No. 5 mine was closed within a year and never reopened. There were no miners killed in the No. 5 mine.
- Extensive upgrading and repairs were done to the Hanna streets, ditches and roads.
1920 January 29:
- Prohibition of Alcohol in the United States started. Prohibition ended in 1933.
1920 May 28:
- The first 12th grade graduation in Hanna took place. Up to this date, the community only experienced 8th grade graduations. The school adopted orange and blue as school colors.
1920 June 30:
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 3 mine in Hanna was closed because the mine was worked out. The No. 3 mine opened for mine development June 13, 1905, and started coal production in 1906. The mine was open for 15 years and produced a total of 2,130,342 tons of coal over that time. The mine’s peak production was 326,751 tons of coal produced with 170 workers in 1910. Over time the Hanna Basin mines (Hanna, Elmo, Sampo, Carbon, Dana, and Wagon mines) experienced a total of 372 miner deaths. The No. 3 mine in Hanna was responsible for 6 of the 372 deaths.
1920 July 4:
- The WWI Soldiers' Monument at the Hanna school was dedicated to the Veterans for their service in WWI.
1920 September 8:
- The first transcontinental airmail flight across southern Wyoming occurred. The DeHavilland biplane, piloted by Buck Heffron, carried 400 pounds of mail on its westward flight from the east coast.
1920: August 18:
- The 19th Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified giving women the right to vote.
- Wyoming's population was 194,402 people with 9,525 of those living in Carbon County.
- Jackson, Wyoming was the first town in the United States to be governed entirely by women; they had a woman mayor, town council and town marshal.
- Black Powder was eliminated from the Hanna mines. All coal was now shot with permissible powder.
1921 February 21:
- The first edition of the Hanna High School newspaper the Pioneer was published.
1922 February 27:
- The United States Supreme Court unanimously declared that the 19th Amendment allowing women the right to vote was constitutional.
1922 September 9:
- The Union Pacific Railroad's 7000 class Sports Model Steam Engines made their debut.
- The first Hanna High School orchestra was started.
- The Knights of Pythias started giving awards at the Hanna High School.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company miners in Hanna went on strike. The strike lasted four months and twenty days, and strange to say, when operations were resumed the demand for coal was not good. The poor conditions were the direct result of Utah and Colorado miners working during the strike and making new customers for them. This weakened the market for Wyoming coal. Both Utah and Colorado showed substantial increases in their production over the previous year.
- A new dump was built for the No. 2 mine. The original tipple, boiler house and powder house were destroyed by fire on June 9, 1922. A new tipple went into production on November 13, 1922. The new dump was equipped with modern shakers and an advanced crusher. Due to the dump not being operational and to the miners' strike in 1922, the coal production numbers were way down.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's boiler house located just behind or west of the No. 4 mine on the north side of the railroad tracks was modernized. A large concrete addition was built onto the boiler house. An 8" steam line was constructed from the No. 4 mine to the No. 2 mine for hoist and heating purposes at No. 2 mine. The No. 2 mine was able to abandon the boiler plant at No. 2 mine. Also a new power line was constructed from the No. 4 mine to the No. 2 mine by constructing a tunnel under the main line tracks and the old power line, which crossed the track overhead, was abandoned.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company introduced the position of Safety Inspector to all their mines including the No. 2 and No. 4 mines in Hanna. The position was to be recognized as important as that the mine foreman, fire boss or driver boss, and should be valued as such.
- The St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in Hanna was opened.
- Eugene McAuliffe, President of the Union Pacific Coal Company, championed the modernization of the Hanna mines. A difficult period of experimentation and modernization began.
1923 August 14:
- A coal mine near Kemmerer exploded killing 99 men.
- The new Union Pacific Railroad coal chutes were completed and in operation to serve all the passenger and freight trains.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's Old Timers' Association was created. Many of the members were from Carbon and Hanna.
1924 April 1:
- The annual celebration in honor of the "Eight Hour Day" was observed. The school age students were provided with a free picture show, along with oranges and candy. The adults celebrated with a fee dance that evening. The Reverend Doctor Lackland from the Denver, Colorado addressed the public at the Hanna Opera House that evening with a speech about Education for the Laborer.
1924 September 16:
- The Kemmerer Coal Company's No. 5 mine in Kemmerer exploded killing 39 men.
1924 November 4:
- Nellie T. Ross of Wyoming was elected the nation's first woman governor. She served the remaining term of William B. Ross, her husband who died in office.
1924 Sunday, December 14:
- The Colored people purchased the old M. E. Church. Dedication services were held at the Colored Baptist Church in Hanna, Wyoming.
- The safety procedure of Rock Dusting the mine started in Hanna. Rock dust was sprayed on all the entries, slopes, hallways, etc.to help eliminate coal dust accumulation and possible explosions.
- Hanna High School's first Superintendent was W. W. Snkder. He held that position for 1924 - 1926.
- Coal Mine disasters in the United States killed 2,341 men.
1925 January 5:
- Nellie Taylor Ross, in Cheyenne, Wyoming was sworn in as the first woman governor in the United States. She was elected to complete the term of her husband who died in office. She served from 1925 to 1927. In 1933, President Roosevelt appointed her the first woman to head the U. S. Mint, a position she held until 1953.
1925 March 1:
- Mary Ford and her husband purchased the Hanna Hotel from Mr. and Mrs. John Cole.
1925 June 13:
- The first reunion of the Union Pacific Coal Company’s Old Timers’ Association was held in Rock Springs. Many from the Hanna Basin attended.
1925 November 22:
- Botulism claimed the lives of all the Collins Children in one day.
- The Union Pacific Railroad completed the stockyards which were located near the old Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 1 mine. It was reported as heavily used in the early days.
- The first Hanna High School Home Economics class was held.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company’s No. 3.5 mine in Hanna was closed because the mine had been worked out. The mine opened in 1912. The Union Pacific Coal Company intended to close the mine in 1920, but instead decided to lease the mine to John W. Hay of Rock Springs to complete the cleanup work. The name of the new company was the John W. Hay Coal Company and they started operations on Oct. 1, 1920. The John Hay Coal Company was also known as the Hanna Coal Company. The mine operated the same vein of coal as the old No. 3 mine and was driven as a panel slope mine. The primary work in the mine was driving the rooms and extracting the remaining pillars. The average daily output was about 500 tons per day. The John Hay mine superintendent was R. B. Ober and the mine foreman was William Hughes. The mine ended coal production in 1925. The mine produced coal for 14 years, and over that time produced a total of 726,901 tons of coal. The Union Pacific Coal Company produced 491,781 tons of coal from 1912 to 1920 and The Hanna Coal Company produced 262,161 tons of coal from 1920 to 1925. The Hanna Basin mines (Hanna, Elmo, Sampo, Carbon, Dana, and Wagon mines) experienced a total of 372 miner deaths. The No. 3.5 mine in Hanna was responsible for 2 of the 372 deaths.
1926 February 19:
- The first Annual Old Timers' celebration and dance was held at the First Aid Hall in Hanna. Over one hundred guests were present at the event. The Old Timers honored were men having twenty or more years of service with the Union Pacific Coal Company.
1926 Friday October 1:
- Hanna played its first football game. They played Saratoga at Saratoga. This was the beginning of a long and exciting rivalry between Hanna and Saratoga.
1926 April 1:
- In cooperation with the United Mine Workers of America, Hanna celebrated the Eight Hour Day. All the business places were closed during the day and a free picture show was provided in the afternoon, along with candy and oranges, for the children. In the evening, a free dance was held for the adults.
- The Union Pacific Railroad rolled out the 9000 class steam locomotives.
1926 May 22:
- The Hanna Girl Scout team of Leone Tate, Captain; Muriel Crawford; Edith Crawford; Helen Renny; Eileen Cook; Lucille Wright and A. H. Royce, instructor won first place at the First Aid Contest in Rock Springs. This was a big deal for the citizens of Hanna.
1926 October 2:
- A large crowd was at the Hanna Opera House to hear Governor Nellie Tayloe Ross, Wyoming's first woman governor, speak. According to Hanna officials, the talk was very interesting and much enjoyed by the Hanna people.
- The Hanna Opera House burned down. Strong winds created a huge blaze and the building burned to the ground in a short period of time. Community and school activities, such as movies and graduation held at the Opera House, were moved to the Community Hall.
- Pep Club was started at Hanna High School.
- The Hanna Community Council organized the Hanna Volunteer Fire Department and ordered a fire truck.
1927 September 6:
- The Hanna School opened with a new department, a kindergarten was added for the first time.
1927 August 24:
- The new Hanna Hospital opened in the previous Hanna School and then the Cottage Home Hotel.
1927 November 19:
- The new Union Pacific Coal Company's Hanna Amusement Center under the management of the Love family was opened. First on the program was the American flag flashing on the screen and the National Anthem sung by Mr. Jack Lee, after which Mr. Butler gave an address which was followed by the picture "McFadden Flats." A very large audience attended and enjoyed the program.
1927 November 23:
- The first dance was held at the new Hanna Amusement Center under the management o0f the Love family. The dance was sponsored by the American Legion. The music was provided by the Saratoga Orchestra.
1928 March 15:
- The coal mining town of Cambria, Wyoming ended coal production and was abandoned. Some of the unemployed coal miners from Cabria moved to Hanna in search of work. The first shipment of coal from Cambria took place in 1899.
1929 February 14:
- Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin. The drug was credited for saving many lives in Hanna.
- The talking movies came to Hanna when Thomas Love equipped the Hanna theater with an R. C. A. Photophone machine.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company in Hanna received a citation from the famous Charles Lindbergh.
- President Calvin Coolidge established the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.
- The Stock Market crashed. It was the beginning of the Great Depression. Twenty-five Wyoming banks failed. The Great Depression was deep and hard felt in the Hanna Basin.
- Union Pacific Coal Company opened the Hanna No. 6 mine. It operated for a little over three years and closed in 1933 because the No. 4 mine was producing enough coal to meet the railroad's needs.
- Colorado Coal Corporation opened the Red Mountain mine with a Hanna address.
- The average Hanna Miner made $7.00 a day in wages.
- There were 1,221 accidental injuries in the Union Pacific Coal Company mines in 1930, with a loss of 13,223 days of missed work at an average wage of $7.00 a day for a loss of $92,561.00 in wages.
- Wyoming population was 225,565 people with 11,391 of those living in Carbon County.
- Union Pacific Coal Company’s No. 6 mine in Hanna was developed in 1929 and opened for production of coal in 1930.
1931 September 19:
- The Union Pacific Coal Company remodeled the Community Hall in Hanna. The outside coal bin and several storage sheds in the rear of the building were removed and a kitchen, library and new light fixtures were added to the interior of the building. The Hanna Community Hall was now the site of community events such as family gatherings, dances, parties, weddings and funerals. Boy Scout meetings, lodge meetings and various other community programs were also held at the Community Hall.
1932, October 2:
- A monument, carved by Hugh Renny in May 1933, was erected in honor of the men who lost their lives in the two disasters of the Number One mine. The monument was made from a slab of marble recovered from the old Opera House that burned down in 1926. The monument is located on a hill south of town overlooking the Number One mine. It sits over the area believed to be the spot in the mine where the men lost their lives in the 1908 explosion. The fence enclosing the monument was donated by the Sprowell family and was moved from the Sprowell plot at the Carbon Cemetery as family members there had been disinterred and moved to Rock Springs.
- A Hanna school teacher earned $1,433.70 a year or $159.30 a month. If the teacher should marry, the contract was automatically terminated.
- The Gus Siltimaki Coal Company opened the Elmo Peacock mine.
1933 December 5:
- Prohibition of Alcohol in Hanna and the United States as a whole, ended.
- The total enrollment of the Hanna High School was 155 students. This number included: 10 post graduates, 25 seniors, 17 juniors, 27 sophomores, 24 freshmen and 52 Jr. High students.
- Congress authorized the Civilian Conservation Corps, known as the CCC. Many Hanna Men were involved in this program.
- Union Pacific Coal Company’s No. 6 mine in Hanna was abandoned. The mine was developed in 1929 and opened for production of coal in 1930. It operated for a little over three years and was closed in 1933. The mine produced a total of 38,914 tons of coal with a peak of 10 workers over the lifetime of the mine. There were no fatalities at the No. 6 mine.
1934 February 12:
- The Union Pacific Railroad's M-10000 Streamliners made their debut.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company’s Hanna No. 2 mine was permanently closed. The No. 2, like the No. 1 mine, was developed in 1889 and 1890. In 1891 the mine produced 38,507 tons of coal for outside use. The coal company itself used all of the coal produced prior to 1891. The mine was then idle for 3 years, 1892 through 1894. In 1895, the No. 1 mine caught fire and was forced to temporarily close. The shutdown of No. 1 forced the No. 2 mine back into production. When the No. 1 mine recovered from the fire late in 1895 the No. 2 mine went back to idle status. The No. 2 mine was idle for the next nine years, 1896 through 1904. The No. 2 produced 31,131 tons of coal in 1895. In 1904 the mine was forced back into production because of the June 30, 1903 explosion of the No. 1 mine. The No. 2 mine was finally closed permanently in 1934 when all the coal had been removed. The No. 2 mine produced 6,206,201 tons of coal over 31 years of production. During the mine’s lifetime, the highest number of workers was 633 in 1918 and the lowest number of workers was 280 in 1930. The Hanna Basin mines (Hanna, Elmo, Sampo, Carbon, Dana, and Wagon mines) experienced a total of 371 miner deaths. The No. 2 mine in Hanna was responsible for 27 of the 371 deaths.
- The Union Pacific was the first railroad to employ nurse-stewardesses on passenger trains. In August 1935, Florette Welp became the first to hold this post. Every candidate was required to be a registered nurse between 21 and 24 years old.
August 14, 1935:
- President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed into law the Social Security Act that guaranteed an income for the unemployed and retirees.
- Steamboat, the bucking horse, first appeared on the Wyoming license plates.
- St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Hanna caught fire and required significant repairs, including a new roof.
- The Nugget Coal Company opened the Nugget No. 1 mine just South of Elmo.
- The United Mine Workers of American organized local union No. 7247 to represent the employees of the new Nugget mine. The union would represent the workers until the mine sold in 1958. The new owners in 1958 would refuse to accept the United Mine Workers as the bargaining agent for the workers.
- The Monolith Portland Coal Company opened an open pit mine near Hanna / Elmo.
- United Mine Workers of American organized local union No. 7502 to represent the workers of the Monolith Portland Midwest Coal Company’s workers.
1939 September 1:
- Germany invaded Poland and World War II started. The United States adopted a neutral position until 1941 when Pearl Harbor was attacked by Japan.
- A new Union Pacific Coal Company store was opened on the Lincoln Highway that ran through the center of town. It contained all the necessities a mining family would need such as school supplies, gifts, tools, clothing and groceries. G. E. Bullock was the manager.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company produced a detailed map of Hanna with house numbers and the names of the families that lived in the houses.
1940 June 3:
- The new post office, which is the remodeled filling station near the site of the old Company Store, was opened on June 3rd. It is a very attractive building both inside and out. Miss Bertha Ekman is Mr. Kelly’s new assistant, filling the vacancy made by the resignation of Mrs. Frances Withrow on June 1st. (UPCCEM, July 1940)
1940 September 16:
- Congress initiated the first peacetime draft in the history of the United States. Selective Service was created and Hanna boys were subject to serving in the military.
- The Methodist Church celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of Methodism in Hanna on September 29th.
1940, June 14:
- The German army entered and occupied Paris, France during World War II.
- Wyoming’s population was 250,742 people with 12,644 of those living in Carbon County and 1,127 in Hanna.
- The Great Depression ended.
- Forty-two houses were moved from One Town to upper Butler’s addition. Earlier, the houses from Three Town were moved to lower Butler's addition.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's addition on the Amusement Hall [Love's] was completed along with remodeling for a new post office and installation of a water tank at Butler’s addition. The water tank was needed for the newly moved houses from No. 1 Town.
1941 December 7:
- The Japanese bombed the American Naval fleet in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, killing more than 2,400 Americans.
1941 December 8:
- The United States declared war on Japan and entered World War II. The war initially began when Nazi Germany attacked Poland in September of 1939.
1941 December 11:
- Germany and Italy declared war on the United States. The citizens of Hanna were deeply affected.
- The largest steam locomotive ever built, the Big Boy, went into service for Union Pacific Railroad. It steamed through Hanna many times.
- Diesel powered locomotives were introduced by the Union Pacific Railroad for freight service.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 4 mine in Hanna was closed. The No. 4 mine started mine development in 1911 and opened coal production in 1912 when it produced only 29,583 tons of coal in its first year. The mine closed production in 1941 when the mining operations were moved out of Hanna to the new mine 4A facility north of town. The mine operated in Hanna for 30 years and produced 10,226,125 tons of coal with a peak work force of 331workers. The Hanna Basin mines (Hanna, Elmo, Sampo, Carbon, Dana, and Wagon mines) experienced a total of 372 miner deaths. The No. 4 mine in Hanna was responsible for 24 of the 372 deaths.
1942 November 11:
- The legal draft age was lowered to age 18.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company opened the Hanna No. 4A mine to replace the production from the closed No. 4 mine.
- The Heart Mountain Relocation Center in Wyoming began to serve as an internment camp for some 10,000 Japanese Americans. The Japanese people in Hanna were not sent to the Relocation Center. They remained in Hanna.
- The Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 4A mine in Hanna started production of coal. The No. 4 mine in Hanna was closed.
1943 August 1:
- Bernard R. Lucas, Hanna resident: (World War II Casualty Serial number 17054597, TECHNICAL SERGEANT, 328th BOMBER SQUADRON, 93rd BOMBARDMENT GROUP,) was killed in action, August 1, 1943. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart Medal and Air Medal. He was buried in Florence, Italy. A memorial stone was placed in Hanna, Wyoming cemetery in plot 218. He was 22 years old.
1943 November 26:
- Ten families were left homeless when two apartment houses and a beauty parlor burned down in Hanna. The buildings were located on the corner a block west of Love's store and theater. The fire started from hot ashes piled outside the apartment houses. It was reported that up to 60 families were affected by the fire.
University of Wyoming men’s basketball team won their first and only national basketball title. The team defeated the NIT champion, St. John’s, at Madison Square Garden, just a few days after winning the NCAA tournament title. The team was led by Kenny Sailors who is credited as the inventor of the modern day jump shot.
University of Wyoming men’s basketball team won their first and only national basketball title. The team defeated the NIT champion, St. John’s, at Madison Square Garden, just a few days after winning the NCAA tournament title. The team was led by Kenny Sailors who is credited as the inventor of the modern day jump shot.
- Hanna High School entered the North Central Accreditation Association.
1944 June 6:
- D-Day began. It was the day the Allied powers crossed the English Channel and landed on the beaches of Normandy, France beginning the liberation of Western Europe from Nazi control.
1944 June 26:
- John W. Saari, a Hanna resident, (World War II Casualty Serial number 39197110. TECHNICIAN GRADE 5, 297th ENGINEERS COMBAT BATTALION) was killed in action. He was awarded the Purple Heart Medal. He was buried in Cherbough France. A memorial monument was placed in the Hanna, Wyoming cemetery, in plot 360.
1944 July 14:
- William C. Lucas, a Hanna resident, (World War II Casualty, Serial number 0-524578. SECOND LIEUTENANT, 331 INFANTY, 83rd DIVISION U.S. ARMY), died from wounds received during action. He was buried in the Hanna, Wyoming cemetery in plot 218. He was 27 years old.
- President Franklin Roosevelt signed the GI bill to provide financial aid to veterans returning from World War II. Many Hanna veterans took advantage of this legislation.
- Steam Locomotive No. 844 was the last steam locomotive built for the Union Pacific Railroad. It was delivered in 1944. A high-speed passenger engine, it pulled such widely known trains as the Overland Limited, Los Angeles Limited, Portland Roseand Challenger. Many people know the engine as the No. 8444, since an extra '4' was added to its number in 1962 to distinguish it from a diesel numbered in the 800 series. The steam engine regained its rightful number in June 1989, after the diesel was retired. When diesels took over all of the passenger train duties, No. 844 was placed in freight service in Nebraska between 1957 and 1959. It was saved from being scrapped in 1960 and held for special service. The engine has run hundreds of thousands of miles as Union Pacific's ambassador of goodwill. It has made appearances at Expo '74 in Spokane, the 1981 opening of the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, the 1984 World's Fair in New Orleans and the 50th Anniversary Celebration of Los Angeles Union Station in 1989. Hailed as Union Pacific's "Living Legend," the engine is widely known among railroad enthusiasts for its excursion runs, especially over Sherman Hill between Cheyenne and Laramie, Wyoming.
1945 April 21:
- Arvo A. Luoma, a Hanna resident, (World War II Casualty Serial number 3714 3722. PRIVATE FIRST CLASS, U.S.) was killed in action and buried in the Hanna, Wyoming cemetery in plot 365. He was 28 years old.
1945 May 7:
- The German armed forces officially surrendered. The Hanna Basin boys could now come home.
1945 August 6:
- The American B-29 bomber, the Enola Gay, dropped the first atomic bomb on the Japanese city of Hiroshima, killing approximately 80,000 people.
1945 September 2:
- After 6 years and 1 day, World War II ended.
- The Nugget Coal Company started construction of a new steel and concrete modern tipple. The tipple was completed and put in service in 1946.
- Hanna schools started participating in the new National School Lunch Act which started providing free and reduced cost meals for students in need.
- The Hanna gymnasium burned down at Christmas time. The basketball team was forced to practice in the Finn Hall, which was located near the school, and play most of their home games in Rawlins. In spite of all the difficulties, the Hanna team placed third in the district tournament and fourth in the state tournament.
- A new gym was being built during the school year. The Hanna basketball team again practiced in the Finn Hall and played most of their games at Rawlins. The team won the district tournament in 1947 and placed fourth at the state tournament.
- The new school gym was in full use by the school.
- The Hanna High School enrollment was 68 students.
- The blizzard of 1949 was the worst storm in Wyoming history. The storm created nearly intolerable conditions in Hanna. The blizzard closed the Union Pacific Railroad's main line through Hanna for seven weeks.The state of Wyoming suffered significant damage during the blizzard of 1949. It was, without a doubt, the most memorable storm to occur in the town of Hanna. It wasn't so much the amount of snow that fell, it was the wind that blew constantly, up to 80 miles per hour without letting up, resulting in huge snow drifts. The temperatures remained below zero most of the time. Some drifts were reported up to 40 feet deep, stretching for hundreds of feet. Some buildings in Hanna were entirely covered with snow. At a minimum, drifts reached the roofs of houses and residents had to tunnel out of their houses. Train traffic was entirely stopped. The railroad tracks and earth cut banks were filled with snow, making train movement impossible. Roads were closed. Large equipment, such as bulldozers, was required to move the huge amount of snow to allow traffic flow.
1950 May 11:
- Sixty-nine years after Big Nose George was lynched in Rawlins, construction workers, putting a new foundation in for a new building at the corner of East Cedar and Fourth Street, uncovered a whiskey barrel containing the remains of Big Nose George. The location was near the building that belonged to Dr. Maghee.
1950 June 25:
- The Korean War began. North Korea invaded South Korea following a series of border clashes. The United Nations, with the United States as the primary force, came to the aid of South Korea. China and the Soviet Union came to the aid of North Korea. Some Hanna boys fought in the war.
- St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Hanna was moved away from the coal chute and placed on the west side of the town just off old Highway 30 and near the old No. 4 mine. The church was placed on a new foundation that included a basement, which was used as an apartment for the priest.
- Wyoming’s population was 290,529 people with 15,742 of those living in Carbon County and 1,326 living in Hanna.
- The Finn Hall was moved from near the old high school to the north end of town near the present day football field in order to make room for the new high school.
- A new Hanna High School was built.
- Over the objection of Hanna and Elmo town and mine officials, the state Highway department relocated Highway 30, also called the the Lincoln Highway, from the center of town to about one mile north of town. The move severely affected local businesses. The present day raised paved road was built from the new highway into Hanna.
- Rob Warburton Started the Home Ranch Filling Station, Cabins, Restaurant and Bar
1953 January 14:
- The beginning of the end for the Union Pacific Coal Company mining operations in Hanna when about 100 miners were fired.
1953 July 27:
- The Korean War ended.
- Marv Wilbur published his book The Hanna Field: A Story of a Fledging Episcopal Priest and his Six Wyoming Missions.
1954 February 26:
- The Union Pacific Coal Company, at the Hanna No. 4A mine, fired about three hundred miners. The No. 4A mine in Hanna was developed in 1941 and opened production of coal in 1942. It closed production in 1954 when all of the Union Pacific Coal Company mines closed in Hanna. It was the last mine opened by the Union Pacific Coal Company in Hanna. The mine produced coal for a total of 13 years. Over that time, it produced 9,133,659 tons of coal with an average yearly work force of 320 workers. In the years 1943, 1944 and 1945, the mine produced over one million tons each year. The Hanna Basin mines (Hanna, Elmo, Sampo, Carbon, Dana, and Wagon mines) experienced a total of 372 miner deaths. The No. 4A mine in Hanna was responsible for 7 of the 372 deaths.
1954 February 28:
- The Union Pacific Coal Company closed all of their mining operations in Hanna.
- The firing of all the miners in Hanna created difficult times for the miners and their families. Many families became destitute with no job, no income and no place to go. With a large number of miners suddenly unemployed in Hanna, the lack of income to buy food became a critical issue, consequently the Federal Commodity Program was started in Hanna. The program assisted the needy unemployed Hanna miners and their families with food items until other employment could be found. In the beginning the program consisted of beans and potatoes, but later expanded to canned meats, flour, rice and other federal surplus food items as they became available. The program proved to be extremely beneficial and lasted for several years.
1954 November 12:
- The gateway to America, Ellis Island, closed after processing more than 12 million immigrants. Many of those immigrants came to Carbon and Hanna.
- The Hanna hospital was closed.
- The Hanna United Mine Workers Union 2335 was disbanded. All members were transferred to local union No. 7502.
1955, October 6:
- United Airlines flight 406 crashed on Medicine Bow Peak in Carbon County killing all 66 people on board.
1955 November 1:
- The United States entered the Vietnam War.
- The closing of the Hanna 4A mine in 1954 would mark the first year in the Hanna Basin history there would be no coal production from an underground mine.
- The Medicine Bow to Casper highway number 487 was opened to traffic. The highway opened travel for Hanna residents north to Casper. Until 487 opened, Hanna folks traveled the gravel road north of Hanna to reach Casper.
- The last year of coal production for the Nugget Coal Company located near Elmo.
- Kiewit and Sons started mine development for the Rosebud open pit mine.
- The Hanna Basin Coal Company was in its first year of producing coal.
- Wyoming’s population was 330,066 people with 14,937 living in Carbon County and 625 living in Hanna.
- United Mine Workers local union No. 7247, which represented the Nugget miners in years past, was disbanded. All members were transferred to local union No. 7502.
- Rosebud Coal Sales Company, a division of Peter Kiewit and Sons, arrived in Hanna to strip mine coal in 1959. The company's first year of coal production in Hanna was 1961. The mine first operated west of Hanna then later utilized the Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 4A tipple north of Hanna.
1963 October 2:
- A large cattle drive took place from Elk Mountain to the Union Pacific Railroad stockyard at Hanna.
1963 November 22:
- President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. He was fatally shot in Dallas, Texas while riding in a motorcade. Hanna came to a standstill in shock.
- The Hanna Basin Coal Company stopped production of coal at their open pit mine.
- The State of Wyoming coal companies employed only 327 coal miners statewide. It was the lowest number of miners employed in the industry in modern history.
- The Union Pacific Railroad turned over the water rights and land titles to the town of Hanna.
1968 December 2:
- William J. McAtee, a Hanna resident, (Vietnam War Casualty, Serial number 54903692. SPECIALIST FOURTH CLASS, COMPANY D, 7th CAVALRY, 2nd BATALION, U.S. ARMY), was killed in action in the Republic of Vietnam [South Vietnam]. He was buried in the Hanna cemetery, in plot 433. He was 20 years old.
- The last year of coal production for the Monolith Coal Company mine. It meant the loss of about eleven mining jobs to the Hanna and Elmo communities.
- Fourteen African American football players, which included James Isaac from Hanna, at the University of Wyoming asked the coach for permission to wear black armbands in the game against Brigham Young University as a protest against the LDS church’s ban of black people from the priesthood in the church. The coach, Lloyd Eaton, refused to let the players wear armbands and kicked them off the team. The university president backed the coach's actions. The incident ended in litigation and was disastrous for the University of Wyoming football program.
- The Monolith open pit mine near Elmo opened coal production in 1937 and closed production in 1969. The mine produced, over 32 consecutive years of coal production, a total of 1,694,398 tons of coal with a peak work force of 60 workers in 1966. The mine produced coal for the Portland Cement Company in Laramie. No miners were killed in the Monolith mine.
- Arch Mineral was officially incorporated in Wyoming and moved into the Hanna Basin to mine coal.
1970 October 3:
- The controversial 77 mile section of Interstate 80 north of Hanna between Laramie and Wolcott Junction was dedicated and opened for traffic.
- Wyoming’s population was 332,416 people with 13,354 of those living in Carbon County and 450 living in Hanna. Going forward, Hanna experienced a population boom. The population, by 1980, would be near 2,500 residents.
- New strip mining companies moved into the Hanna Basin. They brought with them powerful methods in removing the topsoil and drilling and blasting the overburden with explosives.
- Employment opportunities, between 1954 and 1970, were scarce in the Hanna Basin. Starting in 1970, the Hanna coal mining boom was on and jobs were once again returning and so were the people. According to the United States Census, from 1970 to 2010, the town of Hanna experienced several dramatic swings in population. In 1970, the Hanna population was only 460 people. Over the next ten years from 1970 to 1980, the town grew by 1,828 new people to 2,288 town folks. Over the next ten years, from 1980 to 1990, the town lost over half of its population, a loss of 1,076 individuals, leaving Hanna with 1,076 people. By the year 2000, the population had settled in at 873 people. In 2010, the population remained relatively stable with a population of 841 folks.
- Arch Mineral Corporation, moved into the Hanna Basin to mine coal. The new mine created new jobs. The town of Hanna struggled to find housing for the new miners.
- Arch Mineral Corporation's Seminoe No. 1 open pit mine, with 24 employees, was involved in mine development, but had no production in 1971.
1972 May 19:
- The coal mineer Black Lung Benefits Act of 1973 went into effect. The act was a United States federal law which provided monthly payments and medical benefits to coal miners disabled from Black Lung Disease arising from employment in or around the nation's coal mines. The law also provides monthly benefits to a miner's dependent survivors if pneumoconiosis caused or hastened the miner's death.
- A new modular Hanna depot was installed, replacing the original depot. Herb Becker was first trick operator and Gordon Roop was the agent working at the depot at the time. Also employed by the Union Pacific Railroad at the depot were Michael Guyot, second trick operator, Wayne Keller, third trick operator and Richard Roby, relief man. The new depot was located just east of the original depot. The old depot was completely demolished. Helping with the demolition were railroad employees, Joe Bisigano and William Martinez.
- Arch’s Seminoe No. 1 and No. 2 open pit mines completed their first year of coal production in Hanna.
- Coal Slurry pipelines was purposed in Wyoming as a way to transport crushed coal from Wyoming to the Northwest and eastern states using large quintiles of water to move the slurry through the pipelines. The idea was short lived.
- The Medicine Bow Coal Company's open pit mine was under construction with 35 employees. Its first year of coal production would be 1975.
- The Lions Club of Hanna was chartered. Charter members were: Leo Leathers, Jerry, Kissinger, Kenneth Hartman, James Barnes, Dale Yates, Joe Doherty, James Wolfe, Ward Fenimore, Robert Jackson, Arthur Goodall, Frank Conway, Ed McAtee, Jim Poulas and Gordon Roop.
- Medicine Bow Coal Company completed development and construction at its Medicine Bow mine and was preparing to begin production in 1975.
- The Hanna railroad overpass was officially opened. Mayor Gordon Roop and former mayor Shorty Dundas were inside the first vehicle over the bridge, Bob Jackson's Model T Ford.
1976 March 1:
- Michael Vickers Love, a Hanna resident, (Peace Time Casualty) (LIEUTENANT COLONEL, US AIR FORCE), was killed in the line of duty when his aircraft crashed on Rogers dry lake bed in California. Michael was a combat veteran of Vietnam and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with two Oak Leaf Clusters. He is buried at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. A memorial stone was placed in the Hanna cemetery in plot 448. He was 37 years old. Michael was participating in the United States space program at the time of his death.
- Arch Mineral Corporation hired Hanna resident Ron Withrow of Withrow Construction to strip dirt off the coal seams and build roads in and around the Arch mines.
1981 March 30:
- The residents of Hanna were in shock when president Ronald Reagan was shot in the chest outside a Washington, D.C. hotel by John Hinckley Jr.
1979 Thursday April 12:
- The first issue of the Hanna Herald was printed.
- The first Sony Walkman went on sale to the people of Hanna.
- Wyoming’s population was 469,557 people. 21,896 of those lived in Carbon County and 2,238 in Hanna.
- A new St. Joseph’s Catholic church was built on the south edge of town.
1982 July 5:
- The Finn Hall in Hanna burned down while being converted into apartments.
1982 September 2:
- Governor Ed Herschler dedicated a two tower test wind farm at Medicine Bow for wind power research.
1982 November 13:
- The Vietnam Veterans Memorial was dedicated in Washington D. C. The monument holds 57,939 names of American soldiers that died in the war, including Bill McAtee from Hanna.
- The abandoned Union Pacific Railroad depot in Medicine Bow, Wyoming, built in 1913, was opened as the Medicine Bow museum.
- The Energy Development Company and Resource Exploration and Mining Company ended coal production and closed their mines. Energy started coal production in the Hanna Basin in 1970. The company was involved in mine development approximately a year prior to that. The company employed a drilling company from Edgemont, South Dakota to do core drilling for the mine's coal studies. The drilling company later became the Resource Exploration and Mining Company and they expanded to do surface mining for Energy Development. The Resource Exploration and Mining Company operated the Rimrock No. 1 and No. 2 surface mines west of Hanna. Rimrock No. 1 started coal production in 1970 and the Rimrock No. 2 followed in 1971. Coal production for both mines ended in 1983.
- Hanna and Elmo resident Betty (Daniels) Poulos authored a creative poem about the place she lived, titled Memories of Hanna.
- The Hanna Basin Museum was organized in the old Hanna Community Hall.
- The Hanna Community Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1984 May 27:
- The Hanna Basin Historical Society dedicated the Miners' Memorial near the Hanna Recreation center to all the miners who died in the Carbon and Hanna mines. A similar monument was later placed in the Hanna cemetery.
- The Hanna Recreation Center was built by the Carbon County Impact Joint Powers Board.
- The Arch Seminoe No. 1 open pit mine was abandoned in 1984. It started coal production in 1972 and produced coal for thirteen consecutive years. The Seminoe No. 1 mine produced 24,210,781 tons of coal with a peak work force of 235 employees in 1979. No miners were killed at the Seminoe No. 1 mine.
1985 January 23:
- The last issue of the Hanna Herald was published.
- Arch of Wyoming's Seminoe No. 1 open pit mine was closed to production.
- A new mine, Amar Incorporated, an auger mine, opened production of coal in Hanna.
- The last year of production in Hanna for the Carbon County Coal Company.
- The Union Pacific Railroad started phasing out the use of a caboose on their trains through Hanna.
- Arch of Wyoming gained control over production of coal in the Medicine Bow mine.
- Amar Incorporated, Gordon Gibbs, Vice President, an auger coal mine, with 6 employees, was idle. Amar Incorporated opened an auger mine in Hanna and started production of coal in 1985 and ended production in 1989. During its 4 years of operation, the mine produced 258,306 tons of coal with a peak work force of 16 workers. No miners were killed in the mine.
- Wyoming’s population was 453,588, with 16,659 of those living in Carbon County and 1,076 in Hanna. Since the last census, Hanna lost 1,162 people.
- Arch of Wyoming's Seminoe No. 2 open pit mine, with 29 employees, was idle.
1991 January 17:
- Operation Desert Storm began, with U.S. led forces bombing Iraq, during the Gulf War.
1991 February 28:
- The Gulf War ended after Iraq accepted a ceasefire following their retreat from Kuwait.
- Arch of Wyoming's Seminoe No. 2 open pit mine with 14 employees was once again idle and involved in reclamation work.
- Rosebud Coal Sales in Hanna closed coal production and started reclamation work.
- Arch of Wyoming's Seminoe No. 2 open pit mine, with 5 employees, was working on reclamation projects.
- Wyoming and West Virginia, Incorporated's Big Sky No. 1 punch mine pulled out of the Hanna Basin.
- The Rosebud mine, with 17 employees, was working on reclamation and had no coal production.
- Arch of Wyoming's Seminoe No. 2 open pit mine, with 6 employees, was idle. The mine was involved in reclamation work and had no coal production.
- Rosebud Coal Sales Company's (David L. Evans, Operations Superintendent) Rosebud open pit mine with 17 employees was engaged in reclamation work.
- Arch of Wyoming's Seminoe No. 2 open pit mine with 4 employees was idle and engaged in reclamation work.
- Rosebud Coal Sales' (David L. Evans, Operations Superintendent) Rosebud open pit mine with 16 employees was engaged in reclamation.
- The Hanna Cyprus Shoshone No. 1 mine was the only underground mine producing coal in the state of Wyoming.
1999 April 22:
- PacifCorp started up Wyoming's first commercial wind farm northeast of Hanna, between Medicine Bow and Interstate 80.
- Wyoming’s population was 493,782 people. 15,639 of those lived in Carbon County and 823 lived in Hanna, a loss in Hanna of 203 individuals.
- The citizens of the Hanna Basin noticed with pride that the Union Pacific Railroad began adding large American flag decals to the sides of their locomotives as a result of the terrorist attacks on the United States.
2003 June 12:
- The Cummings / Crawford Cottage was moved to the Hanna Basin Museum and put on display. The cottage is an original Union Pacific Coal Company house lived in over time by the Cummings and Crawford families. It has been restored to near its original color and condition. It was moved from No. 2 Town to the Hanna Basin Museum on June 12, 2003.
- The town of Hanna received more bad news when Arch of Wyoming announced their plans to close production and reclaim their Medicine Bow and Seminoe No. 2 mines at Hanna in the near future.
- Carbon cemetery clean up and restoration efforts began under the direction and supervision of Nancy and Victor Anderson of the Hanna Basin Museum and Historical Society.
2004 April 29:
- The World War II monument was opened in Washington, D.C., in recognition of the 16 million U.S. men and women who served in the war.
- The town of Hanna continued to lose population as more miners were laid off at Arch of Wyoming's mines.
- For the first time in the history of Hanna Basin mining, there was no coal production in the Hanna Basin.
- Arch of Wyoming's (Neal Forbes, Mine Manager) Medicine Bow open pit mine with 7 employees was working on reclamation and produced no coal. Seminoe No. 2 open pit mine with 13 employees was also working on reclamation. No coal was produced.
- Hanna residents received some good news when Arch of Wyoming announced that mine development had begun at Arch's Elk Mountain mine at Hanna. The coal produced at the Elk Mountain mine would be shipped out of the Seminoe No. 2 load out facility north of Hanna.
- Apple released the iPhone, their first phone to be put on the market.
- Wyoming’s population was 563,626 people with 15,885 of those living in Carbon County and 841 living in Hanna.
- There were only a few coal mining jobs available in the Hanna Basin. Only one mine was producing coal in Hanna, Arch of Wyoming's Elk Mountain open pit mine.
2011 May 29:
- The Lamp Post from the Love's Amusement Hall was installed in front of the Hanna Basin Museum.
2012 August 5:
- Pentti Simojoki, seventy three years old, the grandson of Nils Simelius along with his son Samuli Simojoki and his two sons - Elias, age eight, and Kaius, age six, came from Finland to Carbon, Wyoming to visit the grave of Nils Simelius and pay their respects. The family brought with them a plaque attached to a rock from the family farm in Finland to leave at the grave site.
- The town of Hanna continued to experience a slow death. Arch of Wyoming was the last coal mining company to produce coal in Hanna. The last shipment of coal from Hanna came from the Arch of Wyoming's Elk Mountain mine.
- There aren't any "Big Boys" steam engines operating today, but the Union Pacific Railroad reacquired No. 4014 from the RailGiants Museum in Pomona, California, with long-term plans to bring it back to operating condition.
2014 May 7:
- The Union Pacific steam engine "Big Boy" No. 4014 rolled through Hanna headed to Cheyenne, Wyoming for repairs.
2014 October 6:
- A new Hanna elementary school opened. It was designed as a community center as well as a academic facility for the Hanna children.
June 20, 2015:
- The new addition to the Hanna Basin Museum was started.
2015 December 18:
- The last underground coal mine in the United Kingdom closed.
- Arch of Wyoming entered reclamation work in 2005 and completed the job in 2015. The Arch Seminoe No. 2 open pit mine produced coal from 1972 through 1989. It was idle for 5 years from 1990 through 1994. Coal production resumed in 1995 through 2004. The mine was in production for 28 years. The mine was engaged in reclamation work in Hanna for 11 years. Over its 44-year lifetime, the mine produced 35,478,877 tons of coal with a peak work force in 1979 of 325 workers. The mine experienced no work related deaths.
- The old Hanna school built in 1950 and added onto over the years was torn down and hauled away.
2016 September 1:
- St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Hanna was sold to a private entity. All the contents of the church except the church bell were sold with the building, including the wooden cross from the Episcopal Church in Carbon.
- Massive coal mine layoffs started to occur in Wyoming. The world's largest coal company, Peabody Coal Company and Arch of Wyoming Coal Company layed off up to 450 workers in the Campbell County area alone. The state started a severe downturn in coal production and employment.
2016 June 28:
- Bob Leathers and Gary Milliken visited the Finnish coal mining ghost town of Sampo located east of Elmo.
2017 April 18:
- The historic Union Pacific Railroad Steam Engine 844 stopped in Hanna.
2017 May 14:
- Thirty Japanese monuments in the Hanna cemetery were transcribed by Ayako and Noriaki Ohara.
2017 August 21:
- A total solar eclipse was experienced in Hanna.
2018 April 4:
- The grave site located by Richard Fisher at the Carbon cemetery for the outlaw Dutch Charlie Burris was marked by a graved stone.
2018 May 24:
2018 May 27:
- Memorial Day services were held at the VFW park east of the Hanna Recreation Center and not the Hanna cemetery.
2018 July 17:
- The west and east entrances to the Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 1 Mine in Hanna were located. The Mine was closed in 1908 after killing 249 men in two explosions over its brief history.
2019 May 17:
- The Union Pacific Railroad's restored Big Boy Steam engines 4014 and engine 844 were running the rails again and stopped in Hanna on its way back from the week long Heritage Festival held in Ogden, Utah.
2019 September 25:
- The new addition to the Hanna Basin Museum was dedicated.
- Hanna Basin Museum at Hanna
- The Hanna Miner: At the Bottom of the Mine