Arthur Allen's Meat Market - Sampo CO-OP Store -
Elmo Gift Shop and Ladies Wear - Tripplet's Elmo Grocery
Page by Bob Leathers with contributions from Gary Milliken
In the image below, building #10 was Arthur Allen's Meat Market.
1910: Allen Meat Market was started in Elmo.
1921: Allen's Meat Market in Elmo was operated by A. S. Allen.
1924 - 1946: The Arthur Allen Meat Market was operated by the Sampo CO-OP.
- M. Reese was the proprietor in 1924
- John Waissenem was the proprietor in1928.
- Paul Willjohn was the proprietor in 1946.
1948 - 1949: The Elmo Gift Shop and Ladies Wear was operating next door to the Sampo CO-OP Store.
1959 - 1962: The Allen Meat Market, Sampo CO-OP was operated by Marguerite and Laverne Triplet.
Arthur Allen, disposed of his meat market holdings on front Street, in Elmo to purchase the Ruskenen's Elmo Garage. Mr Allen operated the garage until about 1934 when he sold out to build the motel and store complex, known as the "Silver Cabins" at a site located on Highway 30 when it was routed through Elmo and Hanna. (Andrew Ruskanen, Elmo Garage Company, Hanna Herald, Mar. 30, 1983)
The Elmo Gift Shop and Ladies Wear was located in the same building as the Sampo Co-OP - on the east end.