Home Ranch Gas Station, Cabins, Restaurant and Bar
Notes by Bob Leathers with contributions from Randy Shipman
Highway 30 was moved out of Hanna, to a new location one mile north of Elmo and Hanna in 1951. Rob Warburton opened a gas station, motel cabins, cafe and bar near the roadway in the early 1950's.
In 1950-51, The highway department relocated a short stretch of U.S. 30. The road was relocated from the center of town to a point about one mile south of the town’s edge. When U.S. 30 was realigned near Hanna, a few business owners relocated their enterprises to the new road just south of town. Among them was Rob Warburton, who opened the Home Ranch just east of the new Junction. The Home Ranch was a twelve-unit motel with a cafe, bar and a few gas pumps. (Snow Chi Minh Trail - The History of Interstate 80 between Laramie and Walcott Junction by Richard Waggener)
The image below shows Rob Warburton standing at the entry door to the gas station. The motel office is located in the middle and the cafe to the far right.
The Home Ranch is gone today. It was torn down and buried on the spot by the new owner of the property.