1933: Monument Dedicated to the Men Who Lost Their Lives in the Hanna No. 1 Mine
Exhibit by Bob Leathers
A monument, carved by Hugh Renny in May 1933, was erected in honor of the men who lost their lives in the two disasters of the Union Pacific Coal Company's Hanna No. 1 mine. The monument was made from a slab of marble recovered from the old Opera House that burned down in 1926. The monument is located on a hill south of town overlooking the No. 1 mine. It sits over the area believed to be the spot in the mine where the men lost their lives in the 1908 explosion. The fence enclosing the monument was donated by the Sprowell family and was moved from the Sprowell plot at the Carbon Cemetery as family members there had been disinterred and moved to Rock Springs.
Hanna 1933: Hugh Renny, T.H. Butler, Thomas Jackson. Hugh Renny Monument (Hanna Basin Museum)