1927: The Hanna Amusement Center - Love's
Exhibit by Bob Leathers
Hanna Amusement Hall
by J. L. Libby
Union Pacific Coal Company Employe’s Magazine, January 1928
A new light has risen on the horizon at Hanna in the way of an amusement center, which seems brighter on account of the previous darkness out of which it arose. The community has been without recreational facilities since the Opera House building was destroyed by fire last Christmas, but now Hanna has a real Amusement Hall, under the management of Thomas Love, who has not spared no expense in the furnishings and equipment. Since a description of this building covering the architectural details has appeared in the Employe’s Magazine these features will only be mentioned in a general way.
The new Amusement Hall has a very cheerful and pleasing exterior and is built to care for the wants and need of the community, namely: social and fraternal gatherings, theatricals, motion pictures, dancing and refreshments. The location of the old building was unsatisfactory and out of the way, hence for convenience and appearance a suitable central location is provided, having, in keeping with the times, sidewalks, ornamental street lights and auto parking space.
Beautiful theatres are almost taken for granted today, due to the stupendous strides made in living conditions. The same pictures may be seen in nearly every part of the country, and even in the smaller towns a playhouse to be popular must be comfortable and restful, with accompanying attributes of atmosphere, beauty, music, scenery, good pictures and wholesome amusement.
Passing through the neat lobby and entering the Hanna theatre, one is confronted with a full appointed, neatly decorated, pleasingly lighted playhouse. The opera chairs are roomy, comfortable and are upholstered opera chairs are roomy, comfortable and are upholstered in leather, arranged on the graded floor to give perfect sight lines from all parts of the house, leaving ample aisles which are covered with a thick rich carpet. The orchestra pit is furnished with a grand piano and a “Brunswick Pantropy” with eight-tube “Raiola Super heterodyne.” The stage curtain is a heavy velour, hung with fifty percent fullness, wine red in color, beautifully decorated, and has a center sliding opening. In action the curtain slides on a noiseless track and is eclectically operated by means of a “Vallen” remote control from either the stage or the projection room.
The stage is complete in its detail and equipment, with a gridiron and fly loft arranged for operating the scenery from the floor. There are five dressing rooms, and in emergencies the dance hall could be used for dressing rooms. Glen Harris, scenic artist of Denver, painted a complete line of fine scenery and stage settings. The house and stage lights, including the tricolor border and footlights are controlled by a ten-plate “Cutler Hammer” dimmer back of the stage. The house lights are also controlled by a dimmer from the projection room.
The projection booth is complete, roomy and fireproof, with projecting devices; has a Brenhart spotlight and two Motiongraph deluxe projecting machines equipped with reflection arc and “Ross” lenses. The power for these machines is furnished by a Roth Actodector.”
Adjacent to the theatre and ballroom is a comfortably and artistically furnished ladies’ parlor.
Dancing, which is a popular diversion in mining towns, should be a real pleasure in the new, bright and cheerful ballroom with prettily decorated walls, neat lighting fixtures and finest of maple floors.
Accessible to the theatre and ballroom is a confectionery and lunch room with built-in serving booths, equipped with a “White King” marble fountain, “Frigidaire” cooling a “Butterkist Electric Lunch,” which should care for the wants of the inner man. A barber shop found a place by partitioning off space from the confectionery, which is suitable for ladies as well as for men. On this floor also is a men’s recreation room fitted with two pocket billiard tables: also, other tables for games.
The second floor of the building is devoted to lodge and property rooms. The lodge room proper will accommodate the various fraternal organization, since it has furnishings and facilities for lodge purposes. The hand kitchenette in connection is an added convenience for social gatherings.
It is hoped that the new building fills Hanna’s present needs as a recreation center and may prove pleasing and beneficial to all concerned. (Union Pacific Coal Company Employe’s Magazine, January 1928)