1926 June: Cumberland, Hanna's Union Pacific Coal Company Sister Town
Exhibit by Bob Leathers
The Hanna, Wyoming coal mines were developed by the Union Pacific Coal Company in 1889 and the Cumberland, Wyoming mines in 1900. Cumberland is located about 15 miles south of Kemmerer on the Uinta County line. It was originally called "Camp Muddy." It consisted of four camps, Cumberland No. 1, Cumberland No. 2, South Cumberland, and Cumberland Gap. It was a coal camp much like Hanna. It was wholly owned by the Union Pacific Coal Company.