1905 - 1920: Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 3 Mine in Hanna
The Hanna No. 3 underground mine (T. 22 N., R. 81 W.) opened for mine development on June 13, 1905 and opened for coal production in 1906. The mine operated on a 25 foot thick seam, a track gauge of 42 inches and 3 ton pit cars. The mine operated with mule haulage in the entries and a Dickenson hoist on the slope with a 1.25 inch hoist rope. It was abandoned June 30, 1920, because the mine was worked out. The No. 3 and No. 3.5 mines shared the same coal dump. The No. 3 mine was open for 15 years and produced a total of 2,130,342 tons of coal over that time. The mine’s peak production was 326,751 tons of coal produced with 170 workers in 1910. Over its history the No. 3 mine experienced several serious fires. The Hanna Basin mines (Hanna, Elmo, Carbon, Sampo and Dana) experienced a total of 372 miner deaths. The No. 3 mine in Hanna was responsible for 6 of the 372 deaths.