1900 - 1982: The Finn Hall
The two-story Finn Hall - the large white building, pictured below - was moved from Carbon to Hanna in 1900. The Finnish miners moved the hall by hand seven miles from Carbon to Hanna. It appears that the hall was placed near the school building site. A new high school was built in 1950 on the ground then occupied by the Finn Hall. The Finn hall was moved north of town near the present day football field.
The Hanna gymnasium pictured below at the left end of the three buildings was built in 1918 and burned down at Christmas time in 1946. The basketball team was forced to practice in the Finn Hall and play most of their home games in Rawlins.. In spite of it all the Hanna team in 1946 placed third in the District Tournament and fourth in the State Tournament. The new gym was being built during the 1947 school year. The basketball team again practiced in the Finn Hall and played most of their games at Rawlins. The team won the District Tournament in 1947 and placed fourth at the State Tournament.
Historic Finn Hall Building Destroyed by Fire
Hanna Herald, July 5, 1982 by Carl Berger
The cause of the Monday night fire that destroyed the historic old Finn Hall building is still undetermined, according to Hanna Fire Chief Richard Gregory.
Firemen responded to the blaze about 10:45 p.m. Monday night, but the flames were out of control before they could arrive.The fire was not controlled until about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday morning, Gregory said. The building was totally distroyed.
The historic building was once the place where Hanna residents gathered to listen to band concerts or watch theatre productions. According to research at the Wyoming State Archieves Department in Cheyenne, the building was moved from its original site in Carbon around the turn of the century. According to one article on file there, long poles were placed under the building and Finnish men actually carried the building from Carbon to Hanna.
Although firemen are unsure how the fire started, Gregory ruled out fireworks or arson. The fire started somewhere in the building and was very hot, he said.
The building , located at 3098 Main, is owned by Virgil Dunn and had been converted into apartments. No one was in the building at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.
The fire was reported by next-door neighbor, Joe Bromley and much of the fire department's effort was concentrated on keeping his home from burning.