Image from the Past
The Carbon coal miners sought revenge for the murder of local lawmen Bob Widdowfield and Tip Vincent by the outlaw gang lead by "Dutch Charlie" Burris and "Big Nose George" Parrott. The miners were also angry that the outlaws were after their mine payroll. The murder of lawmen Bob Widdowfield and Tip Vincent in 1878 is a long and complex story. It stretches out over sixty years.
Albert "Abby" Film worked at the Union Pacific Coal Company Store in Hanna. He worked in the original store, which was moved from Carbon to Hanna. At the same time, Albert's older brother George Film was the Union Pacific Coal Company's Hanna Materials Clerk from about 1910 to 1915.
1900 - 1910: Images of the Sweetwater Mine Near Rock Springs
from Philppe Coste in France
Page by Bob Leathers
Philippe Coste in France - found four photos from SWEETWATER, Wyoming. He donated the pictures to the Hanna Basin Museum Website. The French man driving the motor was identified as - EMILE MONNER - working in the Rock Springs area in 1910.
"In the early  '90s independent operators began to open mines along the Union Pacific. P. T- Quealy and associates opened what is known as the Central Coal and Coke Company No. 2 mine, and Mark Hopkins opened a mine at Sweetwater, then known as Hopkinsville. Both of these properties were acquired by the Sweetwater Coal and Mining Company, controlled by G. W. McGeath and were afterwards turned over to the Central Coal and Coke Company, now operating the properties." Central Coal and Coke Company No. 2 started operation in 1888 and closed in 1937. The Sweetwater Mine was operated by the Gunn-Quealy Coal Company and operated from 1919 to 1925. When that area became known as Quealy there were 60 houses there, and one of them was Mark Hopkins the mine founder's wife's home - Ichabod S. Bartlett's History of Wyoming volume 1. (Jennifer Messer Museum Coordinator, Rock Springs Historical Museum)
The 1912 Annual Report of the State Coal Mine Inspector of Wyoming has the Central Coal and Coke Company No. 1 Mine referred to as the "Sweetwater", so it would be reasonable that the mine camp was named as such. I am not sure when the town of Quealy was named, but it would have been later. Since it is now known as the old Quealy townsite, it makes sense that most people including myself had never heard of Sweetwater. (Ryan Reed, BRS Engineering)