1869 - 1900: The Union Pacific Coal Company's No. 2 Mine at Carbon, Wyoming
Exhibit by Bob Leathers
The Carbon No. 2 underground mine was opened for coal production in 1868. The mine was abandoned in 1900. The mine was originally opened as a drift mine. Mules hauled the coal one car at a time, from the workings to the drift. From the drift, the coal was taken by mule power to the tipple. Later, a steam hoist was installed at the intersection of the drift and slope and the one car trip haul was eliminated. A new opening to the mine was made and a new tipple built to handle the coal. The mine produced 1,604,176 tons of coal from 1889 to the end of 1900, with an average of 249 employees. The Carbon mines in total experienced 41 documented deaths. It is not known in which Carbon mine 14 of the 41 were killed, but at least 14 of the 41 occurred in the No. 2 mine.